Do you like sea life, love learning about how to protect and preserve our coastal resources, and want to get younger girls excited about exploring the wonders of the seashore? Coastal Rompers is the place for you! Coastal Rompers was formed more than 16 years ago to provide older girls with additional opportunities to participate in activities with their peers, including visiting aquariums, marine labs, and exploring beaches and intertidal areas. As a community service activity, the group directs other Girl Scout groups and adult volunteers in beach cleanups.
Coastal Rompers operates year round, with members choosing which events they wish to attend. Members rarely attend every event offered! When not on field trips, training Discovery Aides, or delivering programs, Coastal Rompers meets just once each year at Camp Seawood on the third Saturday in October to plan events for the upcoming year.
Outline of a Typical Coastal Rompers Year:
- Boston Day Trip, with a behind-the-galleries tour of the New England Aquarium (Second or Third Saturday in December)
- Discovery Program Aide training (Third Saturday in January, snow date in February)
- Weekend trip to Mystic Aquarium and Long Island Sound, visiting beaches in CT and RI (April)
- Running "Trees, the Sea, and Me" for Daisies and Brownies at the Urban Forestry Center, Portsmouth, NH (First Saturday in May and October)
- Running “Discovery Weekends” tide-pooling events for Brownies and Juniors (May and June)
- Isles of Shoals trip including passage out and back on an SML research vessel, visiting seal rookeries, brunch, time in Celia Thaxter's garden, and banding and releasing migrating birds (Third Sunday in August)
- Whale Watching in Rye Harbor (Sunday in late August)
- NH Coastal Cleanup – part of International Coastal Cleanup, involving over 90 countries, and sponsored by the Blue Ocean Society. Coastal Rompers’ site is south of Ordiorne’s Point in Rye; we direct as many as 60 to 80 additional Girl Scout volunteers to survey and clean the beach. (Third Saturday in September)
Open to Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors. There is a one-time joining fee of $5, and a patch for $1.50. For more information or to join, contact Neil Savage  or call 603.778.0250.